- When parking your vehicle to go shopping, remember where you parked it! Always park in a well-lit and well-traveled area. Do not park in a remote dark area.
- When you return to your vehicle, scan the interior of your car to be sure no one is hiding inside. Check to see if you are being followed.
- Have your keys in hand when approaching your vehicle. You will be ready to unlock the door and will not be delayed by fumbling and looking for your keys.
- When storing items purchased at the stores, place them out of sight. The best place is in a locked trunk.
- Do not leave your purse, wallet, or cellular telephone in plain view.
- Never resist if someone tries to take your property. Call 911 immediately.
- Lock your vehicle and put up your windows even while you are driving.
- When using ATM’s, choose a machine in a well-lit area. Be sure to scan the area before exiting your car or as you approach.
- Carry only the credit cards you need and avoid carrying large amounts of cash.
- When using credit cards, be sure to keep them in sight at all time. Ensure that your card is not swiped in a secondary device while not in your possession.
- Purchase only from known retailers. Never purchase something from an individual in a parking lot or out of their vehicle with a deal too good to be true.
Holiday Shopping Safety Tips