Police Employment Requirements
In order to be considered for employment as a sworn officer with the Kernersville Police Department an applicant must, at a minimum, meet the following standards:
Please note that the standards listed below are the Commission mandated minimum requirements for employment as a law enforcement officer. Individual agencies may require higher standards.
Every law Enforcement Officer employed by an agency in North Carolina shall:
- be a citizen of the United States
- be at least 20 years of age when they begin the academy but must be 21 years of age to be sworn as a law enforcement officer
- be a high school graduate or have passed the General Educational Development Test indicating high school equivalency
- be of good moral character
- have successfully completed Basic Law Enforcement Training and passed the BLET state exam.
- satisfactorily complete the employing agency’s in-service firearms training program
- not have committed or been convicted of:
- a felony; or
- a crime for which the punishment could have been imprisonment for more than two years; or
- a crime or unlawful act defined as a “Class B misdemeanor” within the five-year period prior to the date of application for employment; or
- four or more crimes or unlawful acts defined as “Class B misdemeanors” regardless of the date of conviction; or
- four or more crimes or unlawful acts defined as “Class A misdemeanors” except the applicant may be employed if the last conviction occurred more than two years prior to the date of application for employment.
- have been fingerprinted and a search made of local, state, and national files to disclose any criminal record.
- have been examined and certified by a licensed physician or surgeon to meet physical requirements necessary to properly fulfill the officer’s particular responsibilities and shall have produced a negative result on a drug screen.
- have been administered a psychological screening examination by a clinical psychologist or psychiatrist licensed to practice in North Carolina or by a clinical psychologist or psychiatrist authorized to practice in accordance with the rules and regulations of the United States Armed Forces within one year prior to employment by the employing agency to determine the officer’s mental and emotional suitability to properly fulfill the responsibilities of the position.
- have been interviewed personally by the Department head or a representative to determine such things as the applicant’s appearance, demeanor, attitude, and ability to communicate.
- notify the Standards Division of all criminal offenses which the officer is arrested for or charged with, pleads no contest to, pleads guilty to or is found guilty of. This shall include all criminal offenses except minor traffic offenses and shall specifically include any offense of Driving Under the Influence (DUI) or Driving While Impaired (DWI). A minor traffic offense is defined as an offense where the maximum punishment allowable by law is 60 days or less.
For more information visit ncdoj.gov
Every sworn law Enforcement Officer employed by the Kernersville Police Department must meet the following terms and conditions upon receiving a conditional offer of employment:
Successfully complete a probation period of __12____months.
Minimum employment standards for criminal justice or justice officer as established by the North Carolina Criminal Justice Education and Training Standards Commission or the North Carolina Sheriffs’ Education and Training Standards Commission.
Minimum required training as mandated by the North Carolina Criminal Justice Education and Training Standards Commission or the North Carolina Sheriffs’ Education and Training Standards Commission.
Sufficient physical, mental and emotional condition, as determined by a Medical History and Examination, necessary to perform the essential functions of the above position.
Any additional requirements specified by this Department, which may include:
- Field Training
- Physical agility and or other performance test
- Firearms qualifications
- Psychological qualifications
- Drug Testing
- Computerized Voice Stress Analysis (CVSA)
- Comply with 30 mile residency requirement within twelve months